Friday, November 11, 2011

How is the Macgregor 65 as a Blue water vessel?

I have never spent any time on a Macgregor 65 but have heard some very different opinions of them. We have been compelled to look into them as an offshore passage maker but have found limited info from owners or prior owners. Any input would be great!|||Fast and lightweight. I would not consider them an offshore boat. They have been raced but normally with experienced crews with little need for anything other than sail storage down below.|||The Macgregor 65 is very inexpensive for its size. Its price at around $150,000 is less than you might pay for other used boats of this size. While it is a fast boat, it is also very lightweight and more suitable for off shore than blue water. Personally, I would find the best used boat of this size possible. Two reasons, if you are careful, you can get a higher quality boat for the same money and also, normally used boats come with all the "extra" equipment that can add up in a hurry. Finally, I've been in some pretty nasty weather and I've always had a solid boat under me. I'd hate to think I took my family out in a lightweight boat, just to save a few dollars. In the middle of a storm is no place to discover you've made a mistake.|||What I have heard is that they are faster than a raped ape, and are pretty minimalist inside. If you look on www.yachtworld.com, you can see photos of them for sale. As I recall, I believe they were selling for around $250,000 or so. The pics I saw of the inside reminded me of being inside a refrigerator they were so sterile looking. Also, they have very little beam (that's part of why they are so fast), which means precious little room inside to stretch out. That may or may not be a good thing depending on your preferences. I own a Catalina 27 SR berthed out of Vallejo, Ca, and there is one that berths directly behind me. One day, I "raced" him from the mouth of the Napa River to the Marina (a distance of about 5 miles) and he didn't pass me until we were 2/3 of the way there. He was even flying what looked to be a 150 genoa, as compared to the 110 I had up. If you are looking to buy a true blue water cruiser, look VERY carefully and think before you buy. Makes friends with yacht owners and ask them their opinions and WHY they hold those opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment