Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Whats the difference between a Venture 23' sailboat and a Venture Newport 23' sailboat, if there is any?

I have a MacGregor Venture 23' sailboat that I think was manufactured in 1974. I have been looking at Venture 23's online and I've noticed that some of the sites say Venture 23 and some say Newport Venture 23. I'm new to sailing and I really want to know what the difference is, or if there is a difference. Also if anyone has any info about Venture 23's from 1974 I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!|||A Venture 23 is a sloop rig the Venture of Newport is a cutter rig. A cutter rig has two foresails.


The Newports look more "Salty" Have slightly more headroom. The Ventures are a newer design and most are or were raced. With various mast adjustment accessories these Ventures can actually plane , which means go faster than the hull speed . The Newports do not plane and are limited to hull speed . Both boats are good starter boats. All things considered based on looks alone I like the Newport, but then I am as old as Neptune.|||Thank to both of you- like I said I'm new to sailing and I just want to learn as much as I can!

Report Abuse


|||since you own a venture 23, you have some knowledge about it. the venture 23 newport is a different sailboat. it is rigged as a cutter, with two head sails (one forward of the other) and several design differences.





here is a web site with a picture of the newport model





http://web.me.com/appleseed/23/Welcome.h鈥?/a>





your venture 23 is a good sailing sloop and you should have many great adventures on her. as your are finding out there are many sites devoted to venture/macgreggor.





if you haven't already taken the USCG small boat safety course, then i highly recommend that you do.





hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment