Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nike or MacGregor Irons?

I am upgrading my irons from and old box set of John Daly's I got 4 years ago and come across 2 pretty awesome deals.





2008 MacGregor MT Mid Irons, Steel Shaft, 4 - GW, $245


or


2007 Nike SQ Sumo Irons, Graphite Shaft, 5 - PW, $219





What do you'll think? Oh and I am currently using steel shafts on my Daly's so I dont know what that transition would be like.|||The SuMo is geared towards "super game improvement"- a thick, heavy sole for getting shots airborne, decent offset to help fight the rights (the thick topline also helps with this.





The MacGregor MT's are a more wrokable, yet forgiving, design. There appears to be less offset: while the cavity back does aid in forgiveness, the lack of lots of offset means the ball will find the rough on shots hit off-center. However, if your swing is repeatable and dependable, you can hit the draws and fades with more ease than the SuMo would.





Graphite doesn't help that much compared to steel. It's lighter and a little longer, but they both negate each other. Graphite does have vibration-dampening properties, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment