Friday, November 18, 2011

What does it mean when a name is listed under "assocated" with a Scottish clan's name?

I'm directly related to the Shaw family. Though my biolical father. I found several names assocated with the Shaw family (Adamson, adamsoun, adamsone) list under another Clan name MacGregor. I laso found my Maturnal Grand mother's name Black listed as Assocated with this clan, the Maclean clan. Which I'm' not directly realted to but I had several distant Maclean cousin on my biolical( maturnal) grand father side.


Does assocated mean they related to the main clan. Or are they inter related.Or just minor clans that lived on the land owned by the main clans MacGreggor-Maclean, Shaw.|||An "associated" family would be "sub-branch" or an allied or dependent family, sometimes called a "sept," although this is a borrowed Irish term. For example, as a Black or a Shaw, you would also be entitled to join a MacGregor clan association.|||That depends upon the clan you choose to belong to; for example, although I can trace my Macquarrie lineage back to the 16th century, nobody has asked for a detailed genealogy. We're a very democratic clan.

Report Abuse


|||Very few Clans will ask for a genealogy at all. Since your name is a Sept it probably falls under several clans maybe even English (No body's perfect). Black is a common name that many changed to when the English outlawed the clans. You will find it is associated with several clans. T

Report Abuse


|||I dont know exactly what scottish clan things are like, but if it were chinese, you would belong to the paternal side, even if the mother or grandmother is related to some other clan of any status. I don't know if this helps.|||I don't know if the link posted below will be of any help to you but you may find the answer there.


http://www.heraldry.co.uk/scottish_clans鈥?/a>


hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment