Friday, November 18, 2011

Would a Macgregor 26m be good to anchor inthe fre anchorages around Catalina Island ( loa=27', beam=7'11" ) ?

I could buy a bigger,beamier older sailboat instead of the new Macgregor but it would take up my whole weekend motoring it from Oceanside harbor to Catalina as this type of sailboat would probably only do about 6-7knots and the Mac will do about 20 in sheet,early morning summer/spring glass.Or I could trailer up the Mac to La and launch there(23 miles to Catalina as opposed to 60 from Oceanside).The Mac will run me 35k but a nice used 30-35 footer in Oceanside with slip would run @ 15-20k but also slip fees + maintenance.I just am not completely sure what to get.I also want to sail in local waters from Oceanside when I dont have a full weekend.I am new to sailing(and have a wife + two kids) and want to take guests along (other small families ) for overnights at the free Catalina anchorages.|||The way I see it, you have several issues. First, you want to sail in the Pacific Ocean. Secondly, You want this to be family oriented, including overnight, and day trips to Catalina Island, and Third, Cost of the Investment Vs. reward.......





The Pacific in the area you are talking about is in fact a Ocean, and because of safety concerns for your family, I'd go with the largest boat you can afford. A older 35 to 37 is by design safer. MacGreger build strong boats and I've sailed them for many years. I don't think you would actually be able to make 15-20 Knots consistently, with wind and wave condition changing the way that they do in that area. Trailering is a big advantage, but in my experience it was used differently by the vast number of Venture owners. They would only launch the boats a couple times a year, and leave it docked at a marina most of the season. Recovering it only for storage in the off season. In your area you are not as concerned with seasonal weather patterns, but you do have times that you might not use the boat if it's on a trailer.





I think in the long run you would use the larger boat more often, and still make the Catalina Island trips, although more like during vacation time.





I think the expense of the older boat would be off-set by holding it's value longer. You should be able to get most of your money back say five years from now. Where the depreciation on the MacGregor would be much faster for that same period.





Talk to people around marinas and you will find most boats are tied to the dock, most of the time. Yet, sailing is one of the most enjoyable things man can do. Yesterday the Inter Harbor, where I am, was busy with boats. And I saw one of those picturesque moments with the beauty and grace of a sailboat rail down, sliding through the water. As the add says, PRICELESS,





I hope this helps!|||Really do not like to give bad news , but the MacGregor 26 w/ water ballast system is a poor choice under any circumstances except maybe for a calm shallow pond.


You said new?..did not think they made them anymore.


Maybe something has changed.


They do rig up quickly, will trailer %26amp; have some room.....but.


Looked at them %26amp; have not had the "pleasure" of sailing one but they have several serious faults.


Light construction , under rigged ,fixed OB position will not allow motor to be pivoted , must be emptied to trailer (smelly), they wallow %26amp; I have never seen one sail in a straight line.


Had a smaller lighter boat that was much better behaved.


Thinking the speed mentioned is with the tanks empty


They failed to perform %26amp; were so badly built that there was a class action suit against the maker which should be public record.


Maybe they changed design but I would not trust one enough to take my family aboard esp in open water.


Would look for a more honest well cared for older boat designed for ocean sailing.


Not going into other makers but you may be able to find one that is trailerable.


Would look for advice from experienced local sailors %26amp; reputable dealers to guide you.


Sorry to burst your bubble , but I may have saved yor life....really.


Best regards

No comments:

Post a Comment