Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What is a good first set of blade irons?

I've played oversize forgiving irons for years and have gotten down to about a 10 handicap. I just feel like I need more feedback on my mis-hits but don't want to give up ALL of the forgiveness of cast clubs. What is a good set of blades that will help me improve but still allow me to shoot low?





I'm looking at the MacGregor Tourney PCB, all different Nike blades, and some Mizuno P-33 clubs. Your recommendations?|||I want to commend you on your desire to improve your ball striking and your golf game overall. Blades will definitely make you a better ball striker because of the smaller sweet spot on the clubface. It will also make your life easier when you happen to end up in the rough after an errant tee shot. I would suggest going to a Golf Galaxy or a Pro Shop which allows you to swing the clubs to get a feel for them. I would next suggest that you get custom fitted for these clubs. If you really want to improve your game, this is the next step. Now onto the clubs! Mizuno makes some very nice blades. I personally didn't like the feel of them. The feedback after striking the ball was not as good in my opinion as the Titleist blades. Now Titleist has many blades out there to choose from. They have the 670's, 680's, 690.MB's and now the 695's. The 695's are new and considered a blade but compared to the other's listed they have more of cavity back feel to them whereas the others really felt like blades. I play the 690.MB's with Project X 6.5 shafts. In my opinion they are the best clubs I've ever swung. When hit on the sweet spot the ball explodes off the clubface and is very long and stops on a dime too. Now people will say that because you're switching to blades you'll lose distance and it's going to take you an entire season to get used to the change. I heard the same crap from everyone when I changed over from the Titleist 962's. It took me three rounds to get used to the change and I gained distance on every club. Go get fitted for your clubs and enjoy your new sticks. Hit em' straight amigo and have fun.|||I've alway played blade no matter what my handicap would be. I started to play Taylormade from the day of the first pitsburg persimon woods, and ICW5 (it looks like blade, but has inner cavity), then MS 203, MP 29, T-zoid True, MP 33, Nike Blade, Titleist 690 MB, and now I'm having an eye on MP 67.


I hit MS203 so much I clean out the club face glooves. Still able to sell them for a bit. Sold T-zoid but still owning the rest of it.


As I hit blades, I had to improve my swing to achieve better impacts and after all these years my swing improve and I have reduced my handicap to 6. It's very hard to make improvement further, because there many other things involve, like putting and chipping and the ability to curve the ball the way I want to for example.


I think the cavity and the helps the amatuer iron existing there are horse-****. There's only one way to hit the golf ball and not by using tennis racket size golf iron clubs. Improve your swing and not your club face!!!


MP 33 is probably the best iron I've ever hit, but I'm wearing the club face out again and they don't make them anymore. I've tested MP 67, and the hitting was so sweet, I think I'll get a set.|||A 10 handicap has no business hitting blades...unless you have the desire to be a 13 or 14.





edit: whatever. not to be overly negative, but if you think using blades is going to make you go from a 10 to scratch, I have a war I'd like to sell you... Bottom line, if your goal is to look like a 'playah' and you have some masochistic tendencies, then by all means knock yourself out and pick up a set of Mizuno MP-33's. They're sweet sticks.





edit: again, whatever. at least you'll look good while you're shooting your 85.|||Honestly, if I were you I wouldn't get a set of "true" blade irons. I'm a 7 handicap and I play the Nike Pro Combo Tours. It's a good compromise between a traditional blade, and a perimeter weighted cavity back. The long irons are the cavity back and the middle thru wedges are blade style. The fact that they're forged also gives you that nice feedback you want. I don't think they're currently making this model, but I'm sure you can still find a new set if you look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment