Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Please leave a thought here for my grandfather, Alex MacGregor VC?

Alex MacGregor VC, aged 93, of Reading, Berkshire. He has been let out of Hospice to end his days peacefully at his home with his son, me (his grandson) and my two sisters.





Alex was a road worker all his life, retiring thirteen years ago at the age of 70 and had two children, one of whom died young and was survived by my father. His wife, Daisy, died in 2001 of heart problems and he has been unconsole-able ever since.





During WW2 Alex served with the Light Infantry (rank of Lance Corporal) and earned the Victoria Cross for walking out in to enemy fire to retrieve his RSM, who had been hit by shrapnel and was unconscious. They remained close friends until the latter's death only a few months ago.





Alex is now very sick and does not have long left, and we are here to look after him and make sure he is comfortable. He is looknig forward to seeing all of his old Infantry friends again and tasting his wife's steak and kidney pie again.





He doesn't have many friends left...|||He sounds like a brave and noble man. May his passing be a peaceful one. I wish all the best to you and your family during this difficult time.





I rather like this one:





"Let children walk with Nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communions of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is stingless indeed, and as beautiful as life."


-John Muir





And this one as well:


"Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives."


A. Sachs





Sounds like your grandfather definitely lived.|||I pray that you and yours would be comforted in this time of up and coming loss........





And I say "thank you" to him for his service %26amp; protection of our freedom in the military





Edit:


How could I possibly get a thumbs-down for something like this?|||Now, that is a lovely name Daisy...Reminds me of green fields and Sunshine. I am sure she is waiting patiently for you. What a wonderful reunion that will be. All your family and friends to meet you. I think you have had a wonderful, blessed life from the sound of it and I know you have one wonderful Grandson.





What a thing to do for you, to have people wish you well. If I had a Grandson like that, I would be most contented, knowing the family is in such good and caring hands.


I hope your time left is easy for you and May you go in peace when your time comes. Your Grandson is a monument to the way, you must have lived your life. A good, kind, caring man...Go with God my friend.





Eve on The Gulf Coast of Mississippi......USA|||alex enjoy the rest of your time with family thanks for fighting for our county. take care god blessxxxx|||May God bless your father, sir, and may his passing be a peaceful one.|||You and your family are in all of our thoughts. I will send you calming energy to make the transition easier for you all.





Blessed be.|||we honor you Mr MacGregor today...thank you for your bravery,and service to our troops.We celebrate your long life,and we hope you see your friends and family soon.You have more friends than you know...and will soon be singing shouts of joy..and have no pain ever again..bless you and your family and may they keep you in Gods loving arms...


thank-you,|||If he is 93 and retired at 70, that was 23 years ago, not 13...but I digress....








Your grandfather sounds like he is a great man. I thank him personally for fighting in WWII and doing his part to bring freedom to Europe, and I hope his passing is a peaceful one. Best of everything to him and to you and your family in this time of sorrow.|||could not find any reference either duffer|||Just remember that death is just a part of life, but that his soul will live on forever. Never forget him and remember the things that he taught you. God Bless.|||Here is a song that my daughter wrote and recorded for her wonderful veteran grandfather which could really be a message for your grandfather too. Called "Measure of a Man" It is available free for download on mp3:





http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo鈥?/a>





I hope you might be able to play it for him, he sounds like a wonderful wonderful man just like my dad who lost his leg in Germany in 1943.





Measure of a Man


by Bonnie Egbert





I've been given a gift


Just as rare as the sun


On a cold winter's morn.


I've been given a man


Who has lived his life


Guided by his principles.





Like a fortress made strong


Against fierce, unstoppable storms


He built up a wall


To teach us what's right and what's wrong.





Like the wind blows patterns


With the sea on the sand


Like a storm makes rhythms


At the water's edge,


Can you count or measure,


Hold it in your hand?


The Life he's lived,


or the Measure of a Man?





I reflect on his life,


And the battles he fought


On a dark and distant shore,


And the battles within,


Finding strength to begin--


Now he owns a hero's heart.


And the peace in his life:


The love of a wonderful wife,


Having children of his own,


Raising them in a loving home





Like the wind blows patterns


With the sea on the sand


Like a storm makes rhythms


At the water's edge,


Can you count or measure,


Hold it in your hand?


The Life he's lived,


or the Measure of a Man?








LATER COMMENTS: SHAME ON THOSE WHO TRY TO DISCREDIT A HERO ON HIS DEATH BED AND CALL HIM A LIAR. SHAME ON YOU! STUPID LISTS ARE NOT ALWAYS ACCURATE! MIY DAD DID FIVE CAMPAIGNS IN EUROPE AND ONLY GOT CREDIT FOR THREE OF THEM!|||I hope that you live to be 129|||Alex I have never left a message like this before but after reading about you and thinking I realised I was reading about a Man who helped set the standard for the services that I tried to live up to all the time I served in the Army. I too was decorated but I am sure you would agree when you heard about the award you were not only surprised but couldnt see what all the fuss was about I know I couldnt.


Thanks for your example and as the day draws near may you find the Peace and contentment you so richly deserve.


God Bless you and help make your crossing over as restfull as He can|||Thank you, sir, for all you have done for your country and your world. Your efforts were and are greatly appreciated.





My blessings upon you - may your last days be as happy as possible.





My own grandfather is 98 and just entered a home to help with his declining medical condition. Mayhap you two shall meet sooner than late.





Monty - for yourself, make sure everyone gets enough rest and time for themselves as well. This is a hard time, but at least you all get the time to say goodbye to him, and he to you all. Blessings to you too - I did this with my mom in law earlier this year - it's a hard time, but can be a good time as well.|||Alex, it's obvious you have been a great guy, judging for the loving word of your grandson. Thanks for fighting for our country, it's greatly appreciated. Peace for you and strength for your loved ones, you'll be missed.|||Isaiah 49:13 Sing, heavens! Shout for joy, earth! Let the mountains burst into song! The LORD will comfort his people; He will have pity on His suffering people.


Isaiah 49:18 Look around and see what is happening! Your people are assembling---they are coming home! As surely as I am the living God, you will be proud of your people, as proud as a bride is of her jewels.





Dearest Alex -


You served along side many of my own family members in WWII - and I know the honor that is due you. You helped protect the world from a growing evil and secured freedom on our behalf in your day.





It is now that the God of all Comfort surrounds you. Your loved ones are assembled and their love is a blanket upon you. May you be richly blessed in these latter days. May you know with perfect clarity that Jesus loves you - and that He is ready to welcome you in paradise.





Your children rise up and call you blessed.





May you dwell in God's resting place forever, precious one.





Peace.|||dear Mr Alex Macgregor your life as not been in vain you served us in the war ,for witch we are all proud your son is so proud of you for doing this just shows the love and honer your son has for you ,you have had a good life i hope with your family and friends ,and I'm sure daisy will be waiting with her s/k pie for you god bless you x|||Earning the VC is a distinction of the highest order in this life. Alex, you personify the noblest instincts in men: Honour, Duty and Extreme Bravery - words which have begun to disappear from the English language. God bless you for showing such courage and selflessness.You are an example to us all.


PS I can't find your grandad's name on the list of recipients. Which Light Infantry Regiment did he serve with?.|||*Thumbs up to your grand father*|||Dear Mr. Alex MacGregor,





Your wonderful grandson has asked that we send you a message of friendship. I would like to let you know that I appreciate your service to your country during World War II. My own father also served during that war. You were very brave to save the life of your friend who was hit by shrapnel and was unconscious, even at the risk to your own life. That speaks volumes about the noble and good character that you possess.





Your grandson said that you were a road worker all your life and retired 23 years ago at the age of 70. Again, this speaks highly of your character because hard work is a virtue and sadly, many people today don't possess the same caliber of work ethics to stick with a job for so many years and work so hard for so long.





I would like to let you know that while I have not lost my own spouse, I don't know how I would cope if my husband died. My heart goes out to you because I know that you miss your wife Daisy. Sounds as if you had a deep love for her and a happy marriage. May I be so blessed as you to have even half as many years with my husband as you have had with your wife.





I know that you have been discharged from your inpatient hospice care and are now spending your remaining days at the home of your son and grandchildren. What a wonderful blessing it is to be able to be reunited with your wife, while surrounded by a family who loves you. I used to work for a hospice, and my own father was a hospice patient before he died. I therefore understand the emotions and feelings that go with the process of dying. Please just take comfort in the fact that while this process may not seem fair for the moment, this life is just a stepping stone for a wonderful life that lies ahead for you. I hope that I will be privileged to live as long as you have lived. My parents were 79 %26amp; 80 when they died. 93 is a long time to live, and I believe your son and grandchildren are very blessed to have had you so long.





I believe that you must be a wonderful human being, with much to contribute in this life. I believe you have been a wonderful father and grandfather. I believe these things because only someone who deserves the kind words your grandson wrote about you in his question on Yahoo Answers, would have had those words spoken about him. Your grandson clearly loves you dearly and thinks the world of you. Those feelings do not come because someone has not earned the right to evoke those feelings in others. Those feelings come because someone has lived a life in such a way that those who are a part of that person's life have such a deep appreciation, love and respect for that person, that they cannot help but to want to do something nice for that person.





You are truly loved and undoubtedly will be sorely missed when you leave this life. My prayer will be that you will have a peaceful passing, with your family by your side, and you will have joyous reunion with your dear wife. Although I don't know you, I want to thank you for your service to your country. You have made a positive impact on the generations that have followed your own because of your contributions.





May God bless you and may you feel His love and presence during this time. As for me, I would like to offer you my friendship, my thoughts and my prayers. You are cared for and loved.





Sincerely,





Cari|||Thanks for fighting for us Alex.|||Whilst wishing Mr MacGregor every good fortune for his future, I would point out that his name does NOT appear on the published list of recipients of this medal.|||Good night Alex. God Bless, thanks for doing your best.|||Hello sir, just wanted to say thank you for the time and effort you gave out of your youth to make ours safer.





May God bless you. x|||Thank you to this man who obviously worked hard in life and in service to his country. I will not personally miss him since I do not know him, but I will miss those of his generation who lived their lives selflessly looking to better themselves and their communities.|||Well done,You are truly God's faithful servant,my prayers are with you and your family, Salute!|||Thank you Alex, for your brave service and devotion to our society. May you find peace with your loved ones, both here and on the other side. Go with God.|||Hi Alex,





What a great life you've lived and so many great stories to share, you've left a wonderful mark on this world and inspired people who are also going through difficult times. I'll pray for you and I hope your days on earth are peaceful and full of God's mercy.





All our Love Always...

No comments:

Post a Comment